WATCHING BRIT MOVIES ON ACORN.COM

Since I found so few films worth watching on Netflix -- they cater to popular taste and I'm unpopular -- I dumped them.  I tried BritBox and got grabbed by some big American conglomerate that I had a devil of a time escaping.  Now I'm subscribed to AcornTV.com,  whose Brit movies I've been watching for a long time but randomly since there's a bit of crossover to Netflix.  This change works especially well when I find a good Australian film.  I also admire the strict, but hardly Puritanical, Scandinavian films and also Irish.  Or Wales, et al.

These are what I've watched so far.  They're all pretty good mystery series in six episodes.  Pretty much the same pattern and check list of characters, but different enough to mostly hold my attention.

I do have to give you a warning on the last film on this list.  It's called "No Offence" but there are plenty of reasons to be offended.  Paul Arnold is the writer/producer behind "Cracker" and the Robson Green mystery serieses.  They're edgy and transgressive, but "No Offence" is worse, way more.  For me it's not even really all that funny, but I appreciate that they go to forbidden territory:  lonesome Down Syndrome young adults, fat female bosses, everyone ready for a shag and not always with the right people.  

Part of my problem is that they euphemize and nickname everything so much that I don't always know what they're talking about, even with the subtitles on.  The great thing about Acorn is that ALL the movies have good subtitles, though sometimes the typist was hearing a little askance and got into the homonyms.

George Gently
Vera
Line of Duty
Belonging.
Place of Execution
Mind Games
Rebecka Martinsson
Rain Shadow
Acceptable Risk
Lloyd and Hill: A Shred of Evidence
Winter
Restless
Keeping Faith
Loch Ness
No Offence


OLD FRIENDS

Midsomer Murders
UBX
Jack Taylor
McCallum
Trial & Retribution
Rebus
Jack Irish
Agatha Christie
Miss Marpel

Above Suspicion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINBAR AND ROSCOE

OPEN THE DOOR TO SCHNEIDERMAN

THE PAIN OF WRITING